Milk fat globule epidermal growth factor-factor VIII (MFG-E8), also known as lactadherin, is a 387-amino acid secretory protein and abundant in human breast milk, composed of one N-terminal cleavable signal peptide, one EGF-like domain that binds integrins, and two C-terminal discoidin domains which bind phosphatidylserine.
• Enhances phagocytic clearance of dying cells
• Inhibits proinflammatory cytokine release from macrophages
• Reduces excess neutrophil infiltration that causes organ damage
• Maintains epithelial integrity in the intestine
• Prevents development of autoimmunity (observed in MFG-E8-deficient mice)
TheraSource has developed a technology to produce recombinant human MFG-E8 (rhMFG-E8) with high purity and low endotoxin levels for use in various preclinical studies. We have also implemented biological assays to monitor the quality and stability of the rhMFG-E8 product.